Cortney, Paige, and Claire

Some Yoder girls for ya

Our Babies

baby

baby

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Doctor Day

So this afternoon I had my 14 week check up. I had been so worked up about this upcoming appointment, prepared to ask a gazillion questions about how I've been feeling, and I also wanted to ask if I could get an ultrasound before my 20 week appointment. I felt like getting an ultrasound right now would put my mind at ease about some things. But this is how it went:

After the usual weigh in and such, the doctor comes in, double checks my file and reads things outloud ("you're 14 weeks," "last time you had a problem with blood pressure," "looks like doctor so-and-so delivered your last baby," etc). Then he takes out the little sonogram thingie, listens for the heartbeat (155 bpm, fyi), says it sounds good, sits back down on his chair, basically tells me it was nice to meet me and closes his file. YES, for real! Okay this guy seems like a nice guy. The only guy in the practice itself, first time I met him, yadda yadda. But come on! So I basically had to interrupt his farewell to kinda talk about my (silly) concerns. I told him I was thinking maybe I was 2 weeks behind (in baby development) than orginally thought (like instead of me being 14 weeks, I am actually 12) because of my seemingly delay in noticing/feeling things and also with the longer-than-comfortable "morning sickness". He said the only way to kinda know for sure is an ultrasound, and they'll be looking at that for me at my 20 week check up. Oh. Okay...so, basically there's not only no reason to have an ultrasound beforehand, but they made it seem like 6 weeks is coming up fast. So I felt dumb.

So I went in to the appointment nervous and anxious...came out somewhat disappointed. Obviously the non-disappointing thing was getting to hear the heart beat. That's right, I really am pregnant! I seriously need to have these visits weekly, because for some reason I need to be put at ease about this more than once a month. I'm such an emotional mess sometimes. Well, okay if you know me, it's actually "all the time"....hahaha.

Anyways, so not much information to go off. That was about it. Now I have to wait another 4 weeks to hear my baby again and maybe get some helpful information from a doctor who can't wait to get home, and then 2 weeks after that to be able to see the little bugger. I wish I felt more at ease about this. I don't know why I can't just believe everything is okay and just sit back and relax! Sheesh.

Anyways, that's all :)

2 comments:

The Chases said...

Okay Sista! You need to give that doctor a piece of your mind and make him take time to answer your questions even if you have to grab him by the throat. I bet if you ask for an ultrasound, you'd get one. We got one at 9 weeks. I don't think it was supposed to happen but the doctor could tell we were concerned and wanted to make sure everything was okay. I am sure that everything is fine with your baby. God is looking out for you both. It's in his hands. 155bpm...I have heard that is a boy (girls are higher). Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sam said...

Oh, Cortney. Do not worry so. Everything is just fine with you and your baby. Just think - you'll get your ultrasound in just 6 weeks! That is sooo not far from now. Keep your chin up and thoughts positive.

(I've heard that anything above 140 bpm is a girl...I wish I could remember with my kiddos.)